Is Driver for LaserJet III Broken

Jack Denman cashmere at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 14 09:12:08 PST 2006

Is the Laserjet III non-postscript broken? I have used this printer on CUPS for years on various SuSE distributions and it worked right up to SuSE 9.2. On SuSE 9.3 CUPS fails to configure the LP LaserJet III

I have examined the ppd file and it is the non-Foomatic GIMP driver and the examination of the ppd says it's the right driver.

CUPS configured correctly my other printer the HP all-in-one on the USB. It works

If I do
echo "hello" world" > /dev/lp0
it works and Windows prints on the HP LaserJet III just fine

The debug file reveals that the socket closes without explanation. The Form Feed light comes on during the test print from the configuration and stops until I take it off line and push the form feed button on the printer. The printing output is tons of garbage. The print job remains in limbo unless I keep forcing the printer with the form feed button.

I have both GIMP and Ghostscript installed.

Here are the first few lines of the ppd file

Any help would be appreciated.

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%PPD file for CUPS/Gimp-Print.
*%Copyright 1993-2001 by Easy Software Products, All Rights Reserved.
*%This PPD file may be freely used and distributed under the terms of
*%the GNU GPL.
*FormatVersion:	"4.3"
*FileVersion:	"4.2.7"
*LanguageVersion: English
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*PCFileName:	"STP00224.PPD"
*Manufacturer:	"HP"
*Product:	"(AFPL Ghostscript)"
*Product:	"(GNU Ghostscript)"
*Product:	"(ESP Ghostscript)"
*ModelName:     "HP LaserJet III series"
*ShortNickName: "HP LaserJet III series"
*NickName:      "HP LaserJet III series - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.7"
*PSVersion:	"(2017.000) 550"
*LanguageLevel:	"2"
*ColorDevice:	False
*DefaultColorSpace:	Gray
*FileSystem:	False
*LandscapeOrientation: Plus90
*TTRasterizer:	Type42
*RequiresPageRegion All:	True
*cupsVersion:	1.1
*cupsModelNumber: "3"
*cupsManualCopies: True
*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-raster 100 rastertoprinter"