[cups.bugs] Linker failure on amd64 due to -pie

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 18 06:57:56 PST 2006

Hi!

Cups (latest snapshot) does not build on the amd64 (x86_64)
platform:

Linking libcups.so.2...
/usr/bin/ld: array.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `cupsArrayCurrent' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

configure correctly checks that -fpie is supported and adds it to the
CFLAGS. However, adding -fPIC to the CFLAGS does not help to fix this,
though.

My current workaround is to disable -fpie with a small patch to
configure, but that's certainly not a final solution. Any idea what
could be wrong?

Also, is there an easy way to make the cups build more verbose, so
that I can actually see the executed commands?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?