[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1382: Please pre-process next document while printing current document

jsmeix.suse jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jan 20 06:52:12 PST 2006

[STR New]

I do not understand why there is such a long delay before
the Xerox Phaser 6100 starts to print.
As far as I know the filters and the backend run simultaneously
so that the backend sends the first data blocks to the printer
as soon as they are spit out from the last filter.
The printer should start to print as soon as the first page
was processed by the filters.

But you wrote "connected ... via network".
Could it be the case that the Xerox Phaser 6100
is a network printer and you access it via LPD protocol?
In this case the built-in LPD server in the network printer's
network interface may collect the whole print job until it
forwards it to the actual printing unit.
If my assumption is true there is nothing you can do in CUPS.
But you may try another backend (e.g. socket) which may result
that the printing unit starts to print as soon as the first page
was sent to the printer.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1382
Version:  -feature