CUPS fails to reccognize parallel port - AGAIN!

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Sat Jul 1 04:59:13 PDT 2006

Charles Howse wrote:

> cups-1.2.0 on FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE-p2
> HP1100 parallel port printer on lpt0

> Printer -=IS=- on, -=IS=- connected, lptest > /dev/lpt0 works.

Thanks for this informations.

> root at moe /root# find / backend
> ..
> find: backend: No such file or directory

You try to find CUPS backend directory?
Are you sure this is the right syntax?

Please try:
find / -type d -name "backend"

Please list the content of the CUPS backend directory with "ls -l".

> I have done make deinstall, make reinstall on all the applicable ports, no
> joy. The web interface does not auto-detect my printer, nor can I add it
> for lack of the parallel port choice. The prior version of cups worked on
> the same computer with the same version of FreeBSD.

You can choose other backends?
There are any important messages in the cups error log?

What does the word "AGAIN!" mean in the subject? I can't find any other
article from you in this newsgroup.

best regards!
Bernd