CUPS fails to reccognize parallel port - AGAIN!

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sat Jul 1 06:20:40 PDT 2006

> Sorry, I made a mistake. I pressed the wrong button in my news reader. Can
> you repost your message as follow-up to the newsgroup? Other users should
> profit from our communication. Thx!
>

> > root at moe /usr/local/libexec/cups/backend# ll
> > total 218
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      3 Jun 29 16:02 http -> ipp
> > -rwx------  1 root  wheel  43823 Jun 29 16:02 ipp
> > -rwx------  1 root  wheel  28254 Jun 29 16:02 lpd
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  20494 Jun 29 16:02 parallel
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10994 Jun 29 16:02 scsi
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  18506 Jun 29 16:02 serial
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  52969 Jun 29 16:02 snmp
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  17518 Jun 29 16:02 socket
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21337 Jun 29 16:02 usb
> >

> Output is correct.  :)
>

> > The output of "/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/parallel" is:
> > direct parallel:/dev/lpt0 "Unknown" "Parallel Port #1 (interrupt-
> > driven)"
>
> I never tried by myself, but it seems to work.  ;)
>

> >> There are any important messages in the cups error log?
> >
> > I set the log level to "debug" and the most important thing I see in
> > the error log is:
> > E [30/Jun/2006:18:51:44 -0500] [Job 8] Unable to open parallel port
> > device file "/dev/lpt0": Permission denied
>
> This is the real problem!
>

> > This is the same thing the web interface tells me when I try and
> > print a test page.
> > The permissions for /dev/lpt0 are:
> > root at moe /root# ll /dev/lpt0
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  35 Jun 30 15:33 /dev/lpt0
>
> CUPS 1.2.x change uid/gid before it executes external commands. Older CUPS
> versions can access this device file, because they run with "root"
> permissions (except the option "RunAsUser" was set).
>
> Please change the Permission of this device file to "crw-rw----".
>
> "chmod 660 /dev/lpt0"
>

> I don't know which group CUPS uses on your system (this also depends on your
> configuration).
>
> If CUPS should use the group wheel for executing external programs please
> set "Group wheel" in your cupsd.conf file.
>
> You can also change the ownership of your device file to the group which is
> used by CUPS:
> "chown :lp /dev/lpt0"
>
> Please restart CUPS daemon and try again.

OK, I changed the file permissions and ownership, and that worked...sort of.  After 17 minutes, I finally got a test page out.
I'm aware of reports of how slow CUPS is with hpijs, but that's awfully slow.

Next issue.  As a test, I rebooted the computer, and checked the permissions on /dev/lpt0.  They were reset to the default of:
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  35 Jul  1 08:06 /dev/lpt0

Why did that happen?

Also, please refer to my cupsd.conf file and tell me how to set Group wheel as you reccomend.

One more question...why didn't CUPS auto-detect my printer to begin with?