CUPS fails to reccognize parallel port - AGAIN!

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Sat Jul 1 07:31:05 PDT 2006

> OK, I changed the file permissions and ownership, and that worked...sort
> of.  After 17 minutes, I finally got a test page out. I'm aware of reports
> of how slow CUPS is with hpijs, but that's awfully slow.

Perfect. (I don't use hpijs, so I can't help you with this performance issue
--> maybe you should post it to the proper mailinglist)

> Next issue.  As a test, I rebooted the computer, and checked the
> permissions on /dev/lpt0.  They were reset to the default of:
> crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  35 Jul  1 08:06 /dev/lpt0
>
> Why did that happen?

I never used FreeBSD. But every *nix system has configuration files for
permissions. I googled for FreeBSD and permissions of device files:

FreeBSD use devfs for device filesystem. I think you can configure the
permissions in /etc/devfs.conf. Check that there exists following lines:

own lpt0 root:wheel
perm lpt0 0660

(you can also use lp instead of wheel)

> Also, please refer to my cupsd.conf file and tell me how to set Group
> wheel as you reccomend.

cupsd.conf man page:
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/man-cupsd.conf.html

Insert it into the main section of cupsd.conf.

#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 5454 2006-04-23 21:46:38Z mike $"
#
#   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
#   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
#   file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel debug

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup wheel

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen 192.168.254.4:631
Listen /var/run/cups.sock

# Group for executing external commands
Group wheel

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow 192.168.254.3
BrowseAllow @LOCAL

> One more question...why didn't CUPS auto-detect my printer to begin with?

Because it needs to execute the backend for this. Also the device file must
be accessible.

Is this the answer you want. Or did I missunderstand your question?

best regards!
Bernd