CUPS fails to reccognize parallel port - AGAIN!

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Sat Jul 1 14:17:33 PDT 2006

Charles Howse wrote:

>> You only add the lines, or you also checked if there already exists lines
>> which can influence the permissions?
>> You can send the file to my mail address if I should check.
>
> There were no lines in the file that were un-commented, so my 2 lines are
> the only things being read.

Another try:

Delete the rules from /etc/devfs.conf. This will only be used on boot time.

Add following rule to /etc/devfs.rules:
add path 'lpt0' mode 0660 group wheel

>> I think you don't exactly understand file permissions. So I will
>
> I've been using *nix systems for 4 yrs, but sometimes things get
> confusing.  :)  This version of CUPS is making me pull my hair out!

No problem.  ;)

> I saw an error in the error-log:
> I [01/Jul/2006:11:52:52 -0500] Loaded configuration file
> "/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" N [01/Jul/2006:11:52:52 -0500] Group and
> SystemGroup cannot use the same groups! I [01/Jul/2006:11:52:52 -0500]
> Resetting Group to "nobody"...
>
> I commented "SystemGroup wheel", still not seeing printer in Mac printer
> browser. I currently have the following in cupsd.conf:

Config looks good now (only checked the important parts).

About Mac (I don't have one):
Did it work with the old CUPS Version?. Try to analyze your network traffic
with "iptraf" or any other tool (you should see broadcasts on UDP port
631).