CUPS fails to reccognize parallel port - AGAIN!

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Jul 2 05:50:09 PDT 2006

> Charles Howse wrote:
>
> > I finally have printing working.
> > The necessary permissions for /dev/lpt0 are 0666.
>
> Be careful: 0666 allows all users on your system full access to your
> parallel port.
> Permission 0660 and the setting of "Group wheel" in cupsd.conf should also
> do the work.

I am the only user on the network, so that is not an issue.

> > Also just now got browsing working:
> >
> > # Show shared printers on the local network.
> > Browsing On
> > BrowseAddress 192.168.254.255:631
> > BrowseOrder allow,deny
> > BrowseAllow from all
> >
> > Case closed, many, many thanks to all!
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Only a last question:
>
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL doesn't work for your system?
> Can you post the output of "ipconfig"?

I'll try @LOCAL later.

I spoke too soon...
Printing a test page from the web interface works fine, and the printer is on my browse list on the Mac, but printing from the Mac doesn't work.

I've tried printing plain text, pdf, and MS Word for Mac files.
All fail with "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed" displayed on the printer page of the web interface,

A single sheet of paper is ejected from the printer, with this:
Error: /undefined in Produced
                             Operand stack:
                                           Execution stack:
                                                              %interp_exit     .ru