Separating cupsd and cups-polld

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Fri Jul 7 14:21:57 PDT 2006

I spoke to soon in my other post. Seperating cupsd and cups-polld has
its own quirks.

I had two CUPS servers, RedHat and AIX, and one AIX client. I configure
the servers so that they don't fork-off cups-polld. This worked out ok
and the client was able to print through the servers and maintain its
cups-polld daemon.

I then configured 3 other clients, 1 AIX and 2 Solaris, duplicating
the one client that's already working. The 4th client's cupsd did not
start but its 2 cups-polld started fine. I've stop and restarted cups
several time and without making any changes, cupsd and the 2 cups-polld
started okay.

Came back from lunch, I sent a test print from the 4 clients and 1 of
them failed. It turned out that its cupsd died. I tried to start and
restart it and still cupsd don't start. I stop and restarted cupsd on
one of the client that printed okay and it too now is having the same
problem; cupsd won't start. This is now happening on AIX and Solaris
clients. Any ideas here?

What this means to me is that CUPS 1.2 is not ready for production, at
least in our environtment. With cups-polld being killed when its forked
off and cupsd dies as explained above, there's really no option left
for me to try.

Any ideas, anyone?

Angel