filters problem?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Jul 8 04:08:22 PDT 2006

Marco <marco.esposito at roma1.infn.it> wrote (Friday 07 July 2006 17:56):

> Hi, i have a problem with my cups server... :P
>
> My print server considers this file a text:
>

>  initgraphics

If you insert as first line this

%!

it will for sure be considered a PostScript file by your CUPS server.

>  0.072 0.072 scale  %units are mils
>      0 rotate
>    250  1500 translate
>  /vsml /Helvetica findfont  97 scalefont def
>  /smal /Helvetica findfont 139 scalefont def
>  /larg /Helvetica findfont 194 scalefont def
>  /vlrg /Helvetica findfont 250 scalefont def
> 1
>      9 setlinewidth
>   3590  2763 moveto
>   3574  2758 lineto
>   3564  2748 lineto
>   3559  2738 lineto
>   3554  2717 lineto
>   3554  2702 lineto
>   3559  2681 lineto
>   3564  2671 lineto
>   3574  2661 lineto

>   6540  3420 lineto
>   6499  3461 lineto
>   6458  3420 lineto
>   6499  3379 lineto
>  stroke
>  copypage
>  erasepage
>

> The file name is top.ps (note extension).

Yes, usually the ".ps" extension should suffice to let it be
acknowledged as a PS file in CUPS...

> If i open this file with ghostview i see a simple graphic, but if i print it go out only postscript
> code!
>
> Filters problem?

No, an auto-typing problem!

> my mime.types
>

> #
> # "$Id: mime.types,v 1.30 2004/09/23 14:30:19 mike Exp $"

[....]

> application/postscript                ai eps ps string(0,%!) string(0,<04>%!) \
>                                       contains(0,128,<1B>%-12345X) \
>                                       (contains(0,1024,"LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT") \
>                                        contains(0,1024,"LANGUAGE = Postscript") \
>                                        contains(0,1024,"LANGUAGE = PostScript") \
>                                        contains(0,1024,"LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT"))

[....]

> text/plain                    txt printable(0,1024)

The mime.types rule for PostScript detection is what it should be, and
a *.ps extension should suffice... So in theory, it should work just
fine.

In practice however, it looks like CUPS does not follow its own rules
for auto-typing files here.  Dunno why...

IMHO this is a bug and should be submitted to

    http://www.cups.org/str.php

for further investigation.

Cheers,
Kurt