Browsing issues with CUPS 1.2

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sat Jul 8 10:08:06 PDT 2006

On 2006-07-07, Kurt Pfeifle <kpfeifle at danka.de> wrote:
> Roger Leigh <${rleigh}@invalid.whinlatter.ukfsn.org.invalid> wrote (Friday 07 July 2006 12:48):
>
>> I eventually found the issue:
>>
>> In /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf:
>>
>>   Port 631
>>
>> works, but
>>
>>   Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
>>   Listen localhost:631
>>   Listen liet.home.whinlatter.ukfsn.org:631
>>
>> does not.  Even though the documentation says that Port is equivalent
>> to Listen, Listen does not permit browsing.
>
> (Just poking with a stick into the dark...) What happens if you put
> the domain socket last, like this:
>
>    Listen localhost:631
>    Listen liet.home.whinlatter.ukfsn.org:631
>    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

Changing the order of the domain socket has no effect.  Removing it
entirely has no effect either.

> [BTW, "Port" and "Listen" are not completely equivalent. But these 2
> statements should be equivalent:
>
>    Port 631
>    Listen *:631
>
> Your combined listen statements may not sum up to the equivalent of
> the port statement -- but that should not be relevant to your
> particular story here...]

Browsing works with both "Port 631" and "Listen *:631", but not

Listen localhost:631
Listen liet.home.whinlatter.ukfsn.org:631

Further investigation shows that the browsing problem is a
failure to /send/ browse information; /receive/ works just
fine.  i.e. when I use "Port 631", the other machine starts
getting the browse information.

Regards,
Roger

--