IEEE1394 backend

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Jul 9 09:21:36 PDT 2006

Roger Leigh wrote:
> Is there any reason why the IEEE1394 backend is not built automatically
> if libraw1394 is present?  It is not ever a TARGET in backend/Makefile.

Because it doesn't work.  At the time I started working on it to
support the Epson implementation of the PWG print channel stuff,
libraw1394 and the underlying kernel driver didn't support the modes
required by their interface, and the Type B Firewire card Epson sells
supports SCSI-over-Firewire which is supported by the existing SCSI
backend.  FWIW, Canon and HP support both SBP2 (SCSI) and IP modes.