Problems with IPP

Seth Nielson sethjn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:02:53 PDT 2006

Hey all, I have a problem that I need some help with.

I have a "Hawking Tech" print server that supports IPP printing. The server is hooked up to a Brother HL-1440 laser printer. When I try to print using CUPS, the data light goes on for a brief second, the stops. From the Cups Status page, I get "waiting for job to complete" indefinitely.

What's really weird is that I just updated my debian system (including cups) and that's when everything stopped working. I'm not sure why.

I can still IPP print to this printer from Windows.

I decided to track down the problem farther using Ethereal to do some packet capture. On linux I get:

>> This is CUPS
  POST /lpt2 HTTP/1.1

  Host: 192.168.0.250

  Expect: 100-continue

  .........G..attributes-charset..utf-8H..attributes-natural-language..
  enE..printer-uri..http://192.168.0.250:631/lpt2D..
  requested-attributes..copies-supportedD....
  document-format-supportedD....printer-is-accepting-jobsD...

printer-stateD....printer-state-reasons.

>> This is the Hawking Tech server or possibly the Printer
  HTTP/1.0 200 OK

  .........G..attributes-charset..utf-8G..attributes-natural-language
  ..en-usG..printer-uri..http://192.168.0.250:631/lpt2.
  HTTP/0.0 505 Not Supported

But from windows, I get:

  POST /lpt2 HTTP/1.1
  Connection: Keep-Alive
  Pragma: no-cache

  .........G.attributes-charset..utf-8H..attributes-natural-language
  ..en-usE..printer-uri..http://192.168.0.250:631/lpt2.

>> And the Printer response is
  HTTP/1.0 200 OK
  .........G.attributes-charset..utf-8G..attributes-natural-language
  ..en-usG..printer-uri..http://192.168.0.250:631/lpt2.

I am using Cups 1.2.1 on Debian. I can provide more information on my printers.conf, etc., if required.

Any help would be great,

-- Seth N