Cups Windows drivers - all options ignored

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jul 11 04:14:01 PDT 2006

Jesús Torres wrote:
> Well, I have the same problem. I have a postscript printer (OKI C5400) configured in CUPS with the original PPD. And I've used cupsaddsmb to setup the CUPS Windows Driver in a samba server. Printing from a Linux client work fine. But when I'm printing throught samba all options are ignored (e.g. duplex).
>
> Looking at the logs I can observe the following things:
>
>  - CUPS detect the document type as application/postscript.
>  - The document is filtered by pstops. It is invoked without IPP options because we are printing throught samba. All options are inside the postscript taken from the PPD.
>  - I think PSTOPS removes all options inside the postscript.
>  - The document is printed without the selected options.
>
> Is this a bug o bad config?
>
> Thanks
> Jesús
>

>>System: Debian AMD64
>>Cups 1.2.1-3
>>Samba 3.0.22-1
>>

>>The Cups Windows drivers works, but all options (e.g. duplex) are
>>ignored (on XP) and are printed with default printer settings.
>>The Windows drivers are build with 'cupsaddsmb'.
>>This problem occurs with differet printers (HP8000, Brother HL7050,
>>Ricoh220, Brother HL4200CN - all with duplex).
>>Under Linux all works perfect.
>>Any ideas? A bug? false config?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Steffen
>>
>>Which files (config, ppd's, ..??) should I post for error searching?

Are you sure you used the latest version of cupsaddsmb and the correct set of driver files
(.dll) as listed servral times within this newsgroup? The cups add-ons to the windows
printer driver make sure that all options are passed on just following the first line
(the "%!..." line) as cups job ticket comments ("%cupsJobTicket keyword=value, ...").
The elimination of feature blocks by the pstops filter is to avoid conflicting settings
which may lead to unexpected results or eaven postscript errors.

Be aware that this way of processing is different from CUPS 1.1.x.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung