can't setup raw device for usb inkjet

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 07:58:43 PDT 2006

cups-1.2.1

I have an epson R-300M inkjet atached to my box via usb. I want to print from a networked windows client box, using the windows epson drivers.

I've been trying to set up a raw print queue on my box. If I use the web-based server manager, the only device name I get is "EPSON Stylus Photo R300 USB #1 (EPSON Stylus Photo R300)".  Which is great - that's the port I use for the locally installed printer driver. But...then it only allows me to pick EPSON drivers - no raw driver.

I've seen no place to use usb:/dev/usb/lp0  - and in fact some postings say that it's no longer a valid URI.

I went to modify printer - that allows me to pick Raw as the Make/Manufacturer - but then just goes into a loop, bringing me back to the Make/Manufacturer page.

So, how do I set up a raw device???

sean