[cups.general] cups stops itself due to rejected print file

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 09:15:25 PDT 2006

Hi

When I tried to check for myself whether Win98 can set options on a
cups 1.2 server, I discovered that my cups installation is now
completely non-functional. (I have been using my Mac for 3 weeks and
never printed anything from Debian in these 3 weeks... the last few
times when my print jobs from Debian went haywire I thought it was a
printer bug...)

The current situation makes no sense to me:

- Rogue application generates invalid DSC (%!PS-Adobe-3.0 header but
no %%Pages comment)

- CUPS says "[Job 3272] Print file was not accepted
(client-error-bad-request)!" and "PID 12521
(/usr/lib/cups/backend/http) stopped with status 1!" in log

- Rather than rejecting and discarding the print file and moving on to
the next job, cups stops itself and lpq says the printer is "not
ready".

lpc start doesn't work, and if I try to start the queue from the web
interface, it acts as if the queue were started, but the queue remains
in the "not ready" state.

It looks wrong to me that a rejected job could stop the queue. Is this
a bug or is there something wrong with my config? This is cups 1.2.1.

Thanks.
-Ambrose