[cups.general] Re: Cups Windows drivers - all options ignored

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 09:37:01 PDT 2006

On 11/07/06, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
> Are you sure you used the latest version of cupsaddsmb and the correct set of
> driver files (.dll) as listed servral times within this newsgroup? The cups add-ons
> to the windows printer driver make sure that all options are passed on just
> following the first line (the "%!..." line) as cups job ticket comments
> ("%cupsJobTicket keyword=value, ..."). The elimination of feature blocks by the
> pstops filter is to avoid conflicting settings which may lead to unexpected results
> or eaven postscript errors.

I have a question about this new way though. What will happen if one needs to
print from Windows 98 clients (yes, we still have Win98 and even Win95 boxes
here, fortunately they don't interact with the cups servers), or MacOS 9 (e.g.,
through afpd, so there's no way to pass options except through the Postscript
code)? They have no new CUPS drivers to create the new cupsJobTicket
DSC comments. What about rogue applications which insists on generating
its own Postscript for everything? Would these clients be not able to
set options
any more?

I understand the rationale about avoiding conflicting options, but to me, just
from what I am reading in this list, the new way sounds much worse than the
old way.