[cups.general] cups stops itself due to rejected print file

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 10:23:00 PDT 2006

Thanks for the explanation, but a few things:

On 11/07/06, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
> This is the expected, default behavior.  You can change the error
> policy via the web interface or lpadmin command.

1. I cannot figure out how to do this through the web interface,
other than via "edit configuration file". If it is supposed to be
easier than that, it need to be made more obvious.

2. I digged around and could not figure out what to put into the
configuration file, until I did a search on "Error policy" (and
I would not have found it if I did not know I need to search for
the words "Error policy").

3. I still do not agree with client-error-bad-request stopping the
printer for the following reasons:

(a) The HTML docs says that "The ErrorPolicy directive
defines the policy that is used when a backend is unable to
send a print job to the printer." The client-error-bad-request
is not about not being able to send a print job, it is (at least
for this case in question) about receiving malformed input.

(b) You cannot configure cups 1.2 to emulate cups 1.1, or
configure it to emulate an ordinary Postscript printer (e.g.,
which is connected to a parallel port), which would discard
malformed input but would *hold* the job if it really could
not be *sent* (i.e., paper out, offline, etc.). Doing this
would require the error policy to be sometimes cancel,
and sometimes hold, which is impossible but would be
what an ordinary person would expect.

-Ambrose