[cups.general] cups stops itself due to rejected print file

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Jul 11 12:51:42 PDT 2006

Ambrose Li wrote:
> On 11/07/06, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> A non-conformant file might cause the printer to crash or
>> reject a job, but the results have always been undefined for
>> non-conforming files anyways!
>
> That is simply not true. If the Postscript code itself does not rely
> on really device specific features, the results are pretty much
> well defined irrespective of whether the stream is DSC compliant
> or not.DSC compliance of output files destined for output never
> had been a visibly real problem for most people, even people
> who work in graphic design.
>
> I have worked with commercial RIP's before, and I have never
> seen one that rejects a file because it is not DSC non-compliant.

The problems come when you try to manipulate the files - add
printer-specific feature commands, do page imposition, etc.

Since CUPS does that with EVERY print file, the results for non-
conforming files are undefined.  IOW, while a particular application
or file may print consistently one way, we don't guarantee the
behavior of those print jobs on all printers when they do not conform
to the DSC.