firewire: epson r1800 ???

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Tue Jul 11 16:40:35 PDT 2006

helices wrote:

> Please, help me to get the subject printer working with firewire.
>
> Yes, I know that I can do this with usb; but, I really want the additional throughput of firewire.
>
> I have HP XW9300, dual opteron, 2.5GHz, 6GB PC3200 RAM; Debian Linux; 2.6.15 kernel
>
> I have seen several OLD references to firewire backend.
>
> I have seen references to using ipp; but, is that supported by my printer?
>
> I have seen references to using scsi; but, I have not found a device binding for configuration.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> helices
> 877.596.8237

I remember reading a post here about a week ago about firewire support
being removed from cups-1.2.x. I don't remember a lot else about it -
there were mentions of scsi and ethernet, and I do remember thinking
'but my Epson R1800 / R800 only does USB and firewire'. So I'm in the
same boat as you.

To be fair though, I don't think firewire is going to give you any
performance increase over USB2. When someone is printing through our
R1800, my CPU usage goes through the roof ( I get to be print server, as
the R1800 doesn't have ethernet support ). So if I'm doing anything else
( and I usually am ), it's the CPU usage that's limiting printing
performance ( I've got a Pentium 4 @ 2.6Ghz ). Otherwise, the printer
itself seems to be printing slower than the USB cable is giving it stuff
to print. We do have the print quality turned all the way up, too.

As for IPP, no, your Epson doesn't support IPP - that's only for
ethernet printers. You're going to have to use USB2. Don't worry. USB2
is fast enough.

Dan