multiple files in one job -- changed (for the better) behaviourof CUPS 1.2.x

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jul 12 05:21:38 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

>> 1.2.x does make one staple binding together all 4 files. Also, when
>> duplexing is chosen, the second jobfile is on the backside of the
>> first one
>

> Normally this shouldn't happen - I think you are just seeing it
> because you are printing images - normally duplexed documents are
> printed with an even number of pages, so this is a bug we'll be
> fixing.
>
>> I like the new behaviour very much. Most of my customers did like it
>> as well (only one I had to convince it is a better thing even for his
>> purposes).
>>
>> I just to make sure this behaviour is intended, and stays as is - and
>> will not be removed in the near future, since I will be using scripts
>> relying on this new behaviour.
>>
>> So, question is: is this new feature here to stay?
>

> Yes, with the note about duplexed images...

To have the benefits of both 1.1.x and 1.2.x - no intermixing with other's jobs,
and independence of the job's files with respect to the PS interpreter - some
instance in the filter chain (presumably the pstops filter) could separate
the files by something like
	false password startjob pop
where password is the integer specified in the printer's global setup.
This should enable inividual files in one print job to set up different e.g.
finishing options, e.g. binding, stapling, duplexing etc. would be done
on a file by file basis.

If needed, I could easily test this stuff using various HP and XEROX printers as well
as some PDF generators.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke