Blank output from PDF

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jul 12 07:32:37 PDT 2006

Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When we try to print
> http://www.companybarclaycard.co.uk/forms/Charge_Cardholder_App.pdf,
> there is no output.  The printer whirrs as it wakes up from standby, but
> prints nothing.  I have tried to debug this by running pdftops on the
> file, but when I try to display the .ps, it comes up as a blank file in gs.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?  We don't have problems printing
> anything else.
>
> Antony

I suspect the cause is that the PDF makes use of the JPXDecode filter, which
is implemented only for PDF, not for PostScript. At our site, the file prints
OK (CUPS 1.1.19 (!)), but we are using the alternate pdftops filter which uses
the pdftops 3.01 from the xpdf suite.

Try to convert your PDF to PS using that utility (must be 3.0x because of the
mentioned filter) and print the resulting PS; let us know the result.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung