Blank output from PDF

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jul 12 09:38:11 PDT 2006

Antony Gelberg <antony at antgel.co.uk> wrote (Wednesday 12 July 2006 18:07):

> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Antony Gelberg <antony at antgel.co.uk> wrote (Wednesday 12 July 2006 15:25):
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When we try to print
>>> http://www.companybarclaycard.co.uk/forms/Charge_Cardholder_App.pdf,
>>
>> This is a PDF version 1.5, made by "Creo Normalizer JTP", BTW...
>>
>>> there is no output.
>>
>> What kind of printer was that?
>>
>> *How* do you print? Using some PDF viewer, and the print button of
>> that program? (This would make that program try and convert the PDF
>> to PostScript first, which may fail....)
>
> Originally, yes.  Then I tried to convert it with pdftops as per my
> reply to Helge.

*Which* pdftops?

(CUPS internally uses its own pdftops filter, located in
/usr/lib/cups/filter/ which is based on xpdf's utility...)

>> Or did you use the commandline "lp -d printername your.pdf"? This
>> would make the CUPS "pdftops" filter convert the file...
>
> This worked, thank you.  Does this imply a bug in pdftops (xpdf-utils
> version)?

Probably. But it could as well be that your PDF uses advanced PDF-1.5
features, which are simply unsupported by your xpdf version.
It also implies the same thing (but or a not yet supported PDF-1.5
feature) for the "some PDF viewer" (which one??) you used to print
your thingie at first...