trouble adding beh

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jul 13 01:31:09 PDT 2006

hcheng <zx2 at shaw.ca> wrote (Thursday 13 July 2006 09:23):

>> Support for beh is to be found in the forums of Linuxprinting.org;
>> CUPS.org did not write it & does therefore not give specific support
>> for it.
>
> I am curious if there is some permission settings for cups

CUPS 1.1.23 does have these settings that may influence permissions:

  LogFilePerm           # default: 0644
  ConfigFilePerm        # default: 0600

That's all.

Then there is your CUPS startup script which may change permissions.
In Fedora this may be something like "/etc/init.d/cupsd" (not sure)?

In Fedora you may also have some other security policy kicking in,
like SE Linux settings...

> that I didnt set though, because I have put
> beh into the backend directory (I do restart cups every time I make changes btw) but lpinfo doesn't
> recognize it.
>
> "perl /usr/lib/cups/backend" returns
> network beh "Unknown" "Backend Error Handler"
>
> so I think the script is working?

Yes.

>> printers.conf is not meant to be edited directly; use the "lpadmin"
>> command to add printers, or the web interface, or one of third
>> party GUI frontends (such as KDE's "kaddprinterwizard").
>
> The problem is if I use the web interface, the printer disappears after restarting cups. I dont want to
> have to add the printer everytime the computer restart. Using lpadmin returns
> "client-error-not-possible."
>
>> > I get
>> > some Access Denied errors for printers.conf in the error log.
>>
>> That's probably because the beh backend is yet unknown to your CUPS.
> ?? How do I make it known?
>
>> To be more precise:
>>
>> * in CUPS 1.1.x you need to restart cupsd to make new backends know
>>   to CUPS.
>>
>> * in CUPS 1.2.x new backends will be recognized when just running
>>   "lpinfo -v".
> thanks. I do restart cups everytime I make changes (after I chmod 755 to beh, printers.conf, cupsd.conf,
> and after I chmod 777 to those same files.. I even rebooted the computer to no avail. :( )
>
> any ideas appreciated.

It is certainly not CUPS preventing you from adding beh to its known
backends then. It must be something your OS (Fedora) is doing to you,
making your life more difficult in the interest of security...  :->>

Cheers,
Kurt