http driver to windows server prints, but thinks it fails

Marc Horowitz mhorowit at bea.com
Thu Jul 13 10:33:18 PDT 2006

This is on debian, cupsys version 1.2.1-3

I have a Windows print server maintained by my I/T department.  I set up
  cups to print to it using the http backend, but I'm having an odd
problem.  Cups sends the first job to the printer, it prints, but cups
thinks the job has failed.  The printer status screen says
"/usr/lib/cups/backend/http failed" and the printer state is "stopped,
accepting jobs, published."  At this point, I can click "Start Printer",
and it prints the first job, thinks that it failed, and leaves me in the
same place again.  The error_log contains stuff like this:

E [13/Jul/2006:13:18:21 -0400] [Job 5] Unable to get job 87 attributes
(client-error-not-possible)!
E [13/Jul/2006:13:18:21 -0400] PID 24436 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/http)
stopped with status 1!

This problem does not happen with another debian client running cupsys
1.1.23-12.

I've tried the IPP backend, but this just retries every 30 seconds
without printing anything.

I've tried to get log info from my I/T staff, but dealing with them is
fruitless.

I've captured a pcap log of the http transactions.  I'm happy to send it
to anybody who wants to try to debug this.

Thanks!

		Marc