modify print job name

Antonis Tsolomitis atsol at aegean.gr
Fri Jul 14 00:18:28 PDT 2006

Hi.

I am trying to setup a fax server using efax and CUPS. Everything is fine for linux clients and OpenOffice. However, I want Windows clients to be able to fax say from Word. The trouble is that no matter what we do Word adds "Microsoft Word - " to the job name and the extension ".doc". So if the fax number is, say, 1234567 and we save our file to 1234567, Word adds always the extension .doc and when it sents the file for faxing the job name is changed to
"Microsoft Word - 1234567.doc" making faxing impossible.

Is there any easy way out? I have been googling for hours with no results.

One solution would be to have a virtual printer that instead of printing accepts the job, saves
the file temporarily, strip the name from "Microsoft Word - 1234567.doc" to "1234567" and re-spool the file to the fax printer with lpr -Pfax -J  1234567

But how can I setup such a printer that instead of printing it runs a script?

Of course any other solution is welcome.
Thank you.

Antonis.