Do I have CUPS?

Roger Morgan halbtaxabo-rm at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 05:25:59 PDT 2006

> I read all the time about the 'CUPS' driver. I found out where to
> download 'cups v.1.2.1'.
>
> My question is this...Is there a differance between 'cups' and 'cupsys'?
> I may need 'cups' and I thought I had it, but what I actually have is
> 'cupsys'.

cupsys is part of CUPS. Debian splits CUPS into several packages.
Here's an extract from the README.Debian file:
---start extract
There are five packages provided by CUPS: the server, the primary
command-line client programs, the BSD client and server compatibility
programs, and the library and development packages.

The CUPS BSD commands and cups-lpd daemon are separated into their own
package (cupsys-bsd); the hope is to make it possible to run CUPS and
some other BSD-style printing system (such as lpr) side-by-side for
testing purposes.  If you encounter any trouble doing this, file a
bug.  It's known that CUPS conflicts with LPRng, since LPRng provides
some System V printing commands as well; this problem will (hopefully)
be dealt with in time.
---end extract

Note that to actually use a specific printer, you also need at least the .ppd file for that specific printer. If your printer is a usb printer you also need the usb printer driver, and you may find usbview useful to check that Linux can see your printer.