A4 and Test Prints

Richard Downing theoldfellow at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 00:43:25 PDT 2006

I have two printers, Lexmark Z515 using Lexmark's proprietary driver and PPD, and Xerox C8 using the cdj550 PPD as per LinuxPrinting.org's recommend.  They and CUPS-1.2.1 work almost OK.  I only use A4 paper.

Sending an A4 test print to either printer results in a good print with the bottom ~ 1.5 cm chopped off (The scale on the RHS runs from 29.2 at the top, to 1.6 at the bottom - no bottom horiz-line).  This appears to be the printers' paper-handling margin.  There is a 1 cm margin at the top of the test print and 5-7mm left and right margins.

Should I edit the PPDs?  I'm loath to do this as every A4 PPD seems to be the same - I had this same behaviour with a previous Canon BJC-7000-GIMP-Print set up.  And I don't believe that I'm the only A4 printer user using these PPDs :)  yet I find nothing the the archives.

Is there a correct way to correct this behaviour?

Thanks,

R.