[cups.general] Print quality less with CUPS

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jul 18 05:22:41 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Jul 18 07:57 aiah metropolitan wrote (shortened):
> I use a NRG P7527n printer connected via eternet/LPD
> Connection and printing from CUPS work.
>
> System 1: uses LPRng
> System 2: uses CUPS v1.1.23
> Both systems print to the same NRG P7527n printer.
>
> I want to print a plaintextfile.
>
> When printed with LPRnr (system1) the printout looks sharp
> When printed with CUPS (system2) the printout looks less sharp
> - text is of lighter collor (almost like if the toner is empty)
> - also the upper margin is less then printed with LPRng
> - CUPS uses linebreaking
>
> 3 questions:
> 1) how do i increse the "sharpness" of the text
> 2) how do i change the margings
> 3) how do i stop CUPS breaking up line with are longer than the width of the page.

Just a guess (you didn't tell how you set up your print queues):
Try to print via CUPS with

lp -d <queuename> -o raw plaintextfile

For background information read the CUPS documentation about
filtering versus raw printing or have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de