Setting Margins with alignmargins

KW kw1502 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 07:47:25 PDT 2006

I’m running Cups 1.1.22 on CentOS 4 (Red Hat Enterprise clone) using kernel 2.6.9-19. My printer is the Konica Minolta magicolor 2400W. I’m using the open source driver (m2300w-0.51 which supports the 2400W) . I installed the printer using the CUPs web interface. I can print from CentOS and Windows XP fine.

My problem is trying to set the margins with alignmargins and understanding the instructions for the program. The image printed by alignmargins appears to rotated about 10 degrees counter-clockwise when I use ml, mb, mr, mt, x and y set to 0. The printed text (instructions for the alignmargins) appears fine though. Can anyone provide clearer instructions on what I need to do to correct this problem?

My confusion is how to interpret the alignmargins instructions. Are H and V constants since the horizontal and vertical lines are parallel to the edge of paper. Do I take these measurements from the physical edge of the paper or from the edge of the image printed? Finally, what is meant by “clipping edges” and “clipping corners”?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.