SNMP printer discovery documentation?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jul 21 09:56:29 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle <kpfeifle at danka.de> wrote (Friday 21 July 2006 17:28):

> John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Friday 21 July 2006 16:16):
>
>> I'm learning about what is new in 1.2.*, particularly the SNMP printer discovery facility. Is there any
>> documentation about this from the point of view of a day-to-day systems manager? (E.g. what does the
>> discovery find, and need I configure the printers in any way to allow it to do this?; when does the
>> discovery run if automated?; should I run it myself when I add or remove a printer - and, if so, how?;
>> how I can I override what it finds, if that is ever necessary? etc.)
>>
>> I've seen man-cups-snmp.conf.html.
>
> Also, there is
>
>     http://localhost:631/help/ref-snmp-conf.html
>  or http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-snmp-conf.html
>
> and http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L387
>
>> John A. Murdie
>
> Cheers,
> Kurt

Maybe I should add:

 * SNMP autodiscovery does not mean "auto-installation" of printers;
   however, it reduces installation of newly discovered devices to
   a simple two click process in most cases.

 * Currently, the SNMP autodiscovery is run every time you open or
   reload the CUPS web admin page (http://localhost:631/admin/).

 * You can run the snmp autodiscovery also from the commandline, by
   typing "/usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp" (or, if you use Ubuntu, this
   variant: "/usr/lib/cups/backend-available/snmp"), and then use
   the info displayed (IP address of printers, model names) in an
   additional "lpadmin -p printername ..." command to install them.

 * If you use KDE and its "kaddprinterwizard" utility, when you use
   "Other printer types" on the "Backend Selection" page, you'll see
   all potential "device URIs" (that were discovered) listed amongst
   the generic ipp, http, lpd and socket URI schemes (this is true
   for KDE 3.5.3, but should work for older versions as well).

 * You do not need to configure your printers

 * You do not need to run it when you remove a printer

 * In the web interface you can choose if you want to install what
   it found -- but you can't override what backend or printername
   it suggests... (you could remember the IP address and model name
   it displays, and re-use that info with any other method of
   printer installation you prefer.

Cheers,
Kurt