Accessing printers both directly and via cups server.

andre andre at soziologen.org
Mon Jul 24 20:16:21 PDT 2006

With my laptop, I am working in different environments.
While adding network printers directly to my server is straightforward enough, I am now having trouble integrating a cups print server as well.

The printer is attached locally via parallel port to to the cups server.
Using my machine as client works fine, but then I can't use the network
printers elsewhere without disabling the ServerName in client.conf again. Which is what the docs suggest, but not a nice option.

Obviously I'm missing something obvious. Neither can I address the printer on the remote machines' parallel port directly, nor do I manage to treat the server as yet another printer -- although I suspect that is the way to go.

Suspicions and guesswork aside, I'm at a dead end and can't find any clues in the docs nor with googling. Any Hints or Pointers are appreciated.