RunAsUser removed; reassurance wanted

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 03:05:10 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> John A. Murdie wrote:
> > I see from item 58 in Article 370 "CUPS 1.2b1" (release notes) that
> > RunAsUser has been removed, apparently on security grounds.
> >
> > I've been unable to find a statement anywhere about where that leaves
> > CUPS systems managers re. the possibility of a root exploit. Is it
> > planned to return RunAsUser in a secure manner one day?
>
> It is unlikely in the extreme that RunAsUser will ever come back.
> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com

Thank you for the extremely useful history and rationale for the removal of the RunAsUser directive, Mike. It's matters like this that are the most difficult to learn about from the ordinary documentation and code. It's one less decision for me to make; I can run cupsd as root knowing that everyone else is, too. I am reassured.

John A. Murdie