SNMP printer discovery documentation?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jul 26 07:46:16 PDT 2006

John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Wednesday 26 July 2006 16:36):

>> John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Wednesday 26 July 2006 13:36):
>> > I must be missing something. I'm experimenting with CUPS 1.2.2.
>> > I can tell that backend/snmp is working, as there is a minute
>> > or so delay when I access the administration page
>>
>> *If* the snmp backend did discover (uninstalled) printers, it
>> will display them in a list on the admin page, like this
>> screenshot shows:
>>
>>     http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2126
>>
>> If your screenshot does look more like this:
>>
>>     http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2127
>>
>> then the snmp backend did not discover an IP address that is
>> a printer that is not yet installed on the system.
> ..
>> Cheers,
>> Kurt
>
> Thank you, Kurt; it appears that something is not working correctly here; not having seen a CUPS admin
> page like the first example above before, I didn't realise that this was the expected appearance and
> functionality that was being described! (I see only a page like the second example.)

What is the output if you run /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp from the
command line?

Could it be that your distro (Debian?) has no "snmp" in your backend
directory (and disabled it by putting it into a "backend-available"
one)?

What's the content of your /etc/cups/snmp.conf file (sans the
comments)?

What are the IP addresses of printers which you expect to discover
(and are not yet installed on the system)?

What is the output of "ifconfig" on your system?

Cheers,
Kurt