LJ4 with PS module troubles

Evan evan at proc.to
Wed Jul 26 20:20:54 PDT 2006

Hello All,

I have a HP LJ4 with a PS personality module and the rest of the slots filled with RAM hooked up to my FC5 running computer via a lpt port.

I am currently running:
cups-1.2.1-1.7
foomatic-3.0.2-33.3
ghostscript-8.15.2-1.1

printer stats:
RAM 26624KB
Firmware: 19921214
Personalities:  - PCL (19920511)
                - Postscript (19920610)

The printer works fine when it is set up via the fedora core printer setup utility, but that uses ghostscript to parse the PS, and since my printer has a PS module, I might as well use it.

The PS module passes all checks and the PS test pages work without issue.  I have also configured the printer with FreeBSD using lpd and the postscript functionality worked.

I used the web-config to change the driver to the HP4 Postscript driver, but nothing prints, the ready light flashes for about 30 seconds then stops.  I enabled the PS error page on the printer and it gave me this when printing the CUPS test page:
"ERROR: invalidfont
OFFENDING COMMAND: stringwidth

STACK:

(R)
8.664
(R)"

The CUPS test page still actually prints, but no other documents do.  Any ideas?

One additional side question:
I first accedently selected the LJ4M postscript driver, and it still suffered the same fate, but it did have one cool feature that is not in the normal LJ4 driver - the display on printer is changed to show the owner of the current job (and title?).  Is there any way to enable this for the normal LJ4 PS driver?

Thanks.