ADVANCED HELP NEEDED on CUPS+ WindowsClient->ipp/samba

nuno inĂ¡cio n.inacio at sapo.pt
Thu Jul 27 09:45:04 PDT 2006

> nuno in=E1cio wrote:
> >> Ubuntu has forked CUPS sources, and patched them to run cupsd as
> >> user "cupsys", not root. This does imply all kinds of twists to
> >> standard CUPS behavior. And you can't even use "RunAsUser No"
> >> like it used to be, when this option was still officially part
> >> of CUPS (in the 1.1.x series).
> >>    =20
> >
> > I've kind of imagined that when searched for that "RunAsUser".
> > The /etc/init.d/cupsys file its starnge...
> > it creates the pidfile as cupsys:lp
> > "chown cupsys:lp `dirname "$PIDFILE"`"
> >
> > and logs as cupsys:lpadmin
> >
> > "chown cupsys:lpadmin /var/log/cups/$l"
> >
> >  =20
> it's interesting to note that /var/log/cups/error_log is root.lp on my
> dapper system
> and yet the rolled files are cupsys.lp. I've noticed a lot of messages in
> syslog:
> Jul 27 09:31:26 services200 cupsd: Unable to open log file
> "/var/log/cups/error_log" - Permission denied
> Jul 27 10:17:02 services200 cupsd: Unable to open log file
> "/var/log/cups/error_log" - Permission denied
> Jul 27 11:17:01 services200 cupsd: Unable to open log file
> "/var/log/cups/error_log" - Permission denied
>
> and yet, the file is being updated... weird. Another side effect of
> Ubuntu running cups as non root?
>
> walter

I had that a lot, I though it was because of "User user-name" option. So I just removed it and chmod and chown around the logs, confs and spool dirs (very uncientific, i know).
The error messages disapeared, but the acces problem didn't.
That's wen got to the conclusion that maybe I just messed too much and cloned the system at home.
Infortunatly just to confirm that it wasn't my fault.