[cups.general] Re: SNMP printer discovery documentation?

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 27 09:48:08 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Wednesday 26 July 2006 13:36):

>>> Yes, that's what I meant to cover when I said (further above)
>>>
>>>   "...it reduces installation of newly discovered devices
>>>    to a simple two click process in most cases."
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>> I must be missing something. I'm experimenting with CUPS 1.2.2.
>> I can tell that backend/snmp is working, as there is a minute
>> or so delay when I access the administration page
>>

> *If* the snmp backend did discover (uninstalled) printers, it
> will display them in a list on the admin page, like this
> screenshot shows:
>
>     http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2126
>
> If your screenshot does look more like this:
>
>     http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2127
>
> then the snmp backend did not discover an IP address that is
> a printer that is not yet installed on the system.
>

>> and I can see  with ps(1) the
>> process running backend/snmp - I decided to try adding a printer
>> to the CUPS configuration that I'd not previously had as part
>> of my set of CUPS-managed printers. I knew from a previous debug
>> run of backend/snmp that this had found it and identified it
>> correctly and that the printer has an accessable IPP interface.
>> When I press the 'Add printer' button,
>>

> Didn't you have an "Add *This* Printer"-button? (If not, your
> snmp backend didn't discover one...)
>
> Clicking "Add This Printer" is the first click. After that,
> the next screen to see should be s.th. like:
>
>     http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2128

Wow, more Ubuntu twists. I hadn't realized that one actually
has to put in the snmp backend soft link. It works!
I gather that snmp discover only works for the same subnet that
the print server is on? Does this snmp discover process also
allow for automatic determination of whether the printer
has a duplexer?

walter