SNMP printer discovery documentation?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jul 27 14:21:02 PDT 2006

John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Thursday 27 July 2006 17:54):

> What baffled me was that the printer I am sure that I have never
> added to my CUPS 1.2.2 printers.conf (which was copied from what
> I'd set up for an experimental installation of CUPS 1.1.23 -
> definitely not there in the original) didn't come up listed after
> the style of the first example from your posting of 10:46 on
> Wednesday, but in the manner of the second example.

I can't find if you have already posted what that printer does
reveal about itself to the snmp backend when run manually. Can
you repost it, please?

Oh, BTW, you can also run snmp with a single argument: the
printer's IP address or hostname to just probe that one printer
(I think it is an undocumented feature of the snmp backend --
found it by accident):

   /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp 192.168.1.102

                                                        :-)

Cheers,
Kurt