Printers disabling

Tim tryan at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 27 14:26:09 PDT 2006

Hello,
We've recently upgraded our print server with new hardware and software. It's now on a Dell blade running RHEL4. Our old box was RedHat 8.0. We migrated our cups configuration, and all the printers are running great except for one thing. I'll explain the issue. We've got approximatly 150 Zebra printers scattered all over the facility, most of them connected with 802.11b bridges. These work fine most of the time, but since they are wirelesss there are occasional dropouts. With our old server, cups would keep attempting to connect to the printer, and when the connection came back the printer would just work. With our new server cups times out and disables the printer, so that someone must go in and start the printer. Once that is done it works, but this is a bad thing in a production envirenment.

Is there some way to stop this from happening? I don't see any configuration options that would control this, and I can't find anything about it in the docs.

Thanks,
Tim