Driver ignores document-specified margins

Scott Severance scott at scottseverance.us
Thu Jul 27 15:40:22 PDT 2006

I have an HP DeskJet 5150 printer, connected to my desktop. I usually print from my laptop over the network. Both machines are running Ubuntu Dapper. I'm using the hpijs driver (HPLIP 0.9.7).

Here's my problem: I regularly print documents in landscape orientation with 0.25in margins all around. This works perfectly in Windows. But in Linux, the left margin (corresponding to the bottom margin in portrait orientation) is wider--probably about 0.5in. Any text that is up against the margin gets cut off.

What can I do to make the driver use the margins specified by the document (OpenOffice and various PDF programs, in my case)?