SNMP printer discovery documentation?

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 02:45:15 PDT 2006

> John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Thursday 27 July 2006 17:54):
>
> > All this is rather painful to do because of the long delays
> > (sometimes 5, sometimes 40 minute) involved in moving from one
> > screen to another in the CUPS management web interface.
>
> John,
>
> have you ever seen this bug report:
>
>    http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1790
>
> ? There seems to be a problem with certain printer types and vendors
> as far as their IPP implementation is concerned (is yours a Kyocera?)
>
> Cheers,
> Kurt

Yes, I'd seen that bug report - and had read (some other mention by Mike?) that Kyoceras were problematic from the point of view of backend/snmp.

The printer in question is an HP Color LaserJet 4500, but I've also had an HP LaserJet 9000dtn not being presented in the "New printers found" list. I've seen an HP LaserJet 4000 delay backend/snmp for 10 minutes in the IPP probe - it has occurred to me to ask whether it was printing at the time, hence the delay. Still, backend/snmp can take 40 minutes for our 30 or so printers, and most of them are idle.

I'll reply to your other message re. the output of backend/snmp.

John A. Murdie