Printers disabling

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jul 28 05:53:21 PDT 2006

Tim <tryan at nc.rr.com> wrote (Friday 28 July 2006 14:41):

>> > Thank you, that should do what I want. I'll try it first thing in
>> > the morning. Is there any way to set it for all the printers?
>>
>>   for printer in $(lpstat -p | grep ^printer | awk '{print $2}'); do
>>      /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p ${printer} -o printer-error-policy=retry-job \
>>      && echo "\"retry-job\" is now the ErrorPolicy for printer ${printer}"
>>   done
>>

> Thank you. I know I can script it, but is there a global setting?

No. Not that I knew it.

> Anytime a new printer is added someone will need to remember to
> set this correctly.

True.

> It would be much neater to have a globel setting with override
> capability.

You know about the STR page where you can submit bug reports, but
also requests for enhancements? Feel free to try if you can convince
ESP that this is a good, useful feature: http://www.cups.org/str.php

> We are always adding new printers for new products and this could
> easily be overlooked.

Well, we all learn by routine. If you "always add new printers", you
will quickly learn to set the ErrorPolicy like you prefer...

Cheers,
Kurt