SendError

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jul 28 07:22:26 PDT 2006

angelb <angelb at bugarin.us> wrote (Friday 28 July 2006 16:05):

> Does anyone know what the following message means?
>
> SendError: 8 code=304 (Not Modified)
>
> We're sending about a hundred jobs to a printer and
> monitoring the error_log as jobs being sent and saw
> the above info.
>
> Any ideas?

The "304" is looking like a HTTP status code, and this document

   http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/HTRESP.html

has this to say about 304:

  Not Modified 304

  If the client has done a conditional GET and access is allowed,
  but the document has not been modified since the date and time
  specified in If-Modified-Since field, the server responds with
  a 304 status code and does not send the document body to the
  client.

  Response headers are as if the client had sent a HEAD request,
  but limited to only those headers which make sense in this
  context. This means only headers that are relevant to cache
  managers and which may have changed independently of the
  document's Last-Modified date. Examples include Date, Server
  and Expires.

  The purpose of this feature is to allow efficient updates of
  local cache information (including relevant metainformation)
  without requiring the overhead of multiple HTTP requests (e.g.
  a HEAD followed by a GET) and minimizing the transmittal of
  information already known by the requesting client (usually a
  caching proxy).

IPP is based on HTTP, and uses the same status codes (where
applicable). So very likely this log message does not represent
an error at all.

Cheers,
Kurt