[cups.general] ipp/port#, how does one determine # without actually printing?

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 28 08:07:20 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> wtautz <wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote (Thursday 27 July 2006 22:33):
>

>> Is there an easy way to determine whether ipp/port1 ipp/port2 etc are
>> correct without
>> actually trying to print a file to an HP printer. The printer in
>> question is a 4100 series.
>>

> If you compile from sources (no need to actually install), you'll
> find a "test" subdirectory, with the "ipptest" utility (dunno if
> that is shipped by any distro). You can then enter that directory
> and run the utility like this:
>
>    ./ipptest -v ipp://[ip-address-of-printer]/ get-printer-attributes.test
>    ./ipptest -v ipp://[ip-address-of-printer]/ipp get-printer-attributes.test
>    ./ipptest -v ipp://[ip-address-of-printer]/ipp/port1 get-printer-attributes.test
>    ./ipptest -v ipp://[ip-address-of-printer]/ipp/port2 get-printer-attributes.test
>
> That said, most HPs that actually do support IPP do take /ipp as
> well as /ipp/port1.
>
> However, that one HP 4000 I found nearby did not support IPP at
> all:
>
>    ./ipptest -v ipp://10.162.4.65:631/ipp get-printer-attributes.test
>    Unable to connect to 10.162.4.65 on port 631 - Connection refused

Perhaps it has to be turned on. I have found foomatic-getpjloptions
pretty handy
for determining printer capabilities albeit looking at the output I
don't see anything
about enabled protocols. Nmap helps. Of course one can connect via web
browser.
Perhaps the tests you mention are independent of it being enabled.