client-error-document-format-not-supported

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Jul 29 08:02:31 PDT 2006

skylupo <cups.org at laeam.com> wrote (Wednesday 26 July 2006 22:12):

> i'm running debian and kde, i installed the hplip driver
> (http://hplip.sourceforge.net/).

Which Debian version?
Which KDE version?
Which CUPS version?
Which HPLIP version?

> i googled a lot of course, and i found 2 solutions:

So you tell us about your "solution" without mentioning what your
"problem" solved by it is?    :-)

> 1- edit the mime.types and mime.confs files and uncomment de lines
> 'application/octet-stream ' at the bottom
>
> 2- in kde control panel, reconfigure the cups server to listen to
> localhost:631

I don't think your solutions have anything to do with the IPP error
code your $subject mentions.

> i tried both, i restarted cups each time, with no errors at the
> starting, but if i try to print something (lp /etc/passwd) i get
> client-error-document-format-not-supported . i get the same msg if
> i try to print a test page from the webadmin page of cups
> (http://localhost:631/admin)
>
> i removed cups, reinstalled it, but the pb remains.
> i really don't know what else i can try :(
>
> it's like the cups server wasn't able to read the mime.types and
> mime.confs files.

What are the permissions to those files (and to their parent
directory)?

> certainly i missed something, certainly it's a stupid thing, but
> i can't find it.
>
> someone to help me pleaz?

1. Set "LogLevel debug" in cupsd.conf.
2. Stop cupsd.
3. Make the error_log empty:
   su -c "echo > /var/log/cups/error_log"
4. Start cupsd.
5. Print something (better not your password file):
   lp -d printername /etc/shadow
6. Analyze every single line of /var/log/cups/error_log

If you don't get a hint from the error_log, try to see if reading
http://www.cups.org/cups-help.html will help you. If it doesn't,
paste the error log to http://cups.pastebin.com/ and tell us the
URL so we can look at it.

Cheers,