Advertise network printer infomation using dns-sd

ryuichi ikeura ryuuichi.ikeura at nts.ricoh.co.jp
Sun Jul 30 18:36:52 PDT 2006

Hi.

I want to advertise the information of network printer in CUPS server to CUPS Client using dns-sd.

Both the machines use Mac OSX Tiger, cups 1.2.1 and run mDNSResponder-107.5.
To adverise it, I configure both the cupsd.conf as follows.
(In CUPS Client, I set "ServerName [server-ip-address]" in client.conf)

However, CUPS protocol is advertised, not dns-sd.

[cupsd.conf -CUPS server]
# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen 127.0.0.1:631
Listen /private/var/run/cupsd
Port 5353
Port 631
Port 80
# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAddress [multicast-address]
ServerName [server-ipaddress]
Listen [server-ipaddress]:631
Listen [server-ipaddress]:5353
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseProtocols dns-sd
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Restrict access to the server...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow from [client-ip-address]
</Location>

[cupsd.conf -CUPS client]
# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /private/var/run/cupsd

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseRemoteProtocols dns-sd
Port 5353
# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

Would anyone know what is wrong in my setting?