How to watch the print?

Joffre tech11 at sohu.com
Sun Jul 30 23:51:22 PDT 2006

> Joffre wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Normally persons print something freely and have no more record or log to check, it's dangerous to us. Since someone print out our technology drawing and make it open, so I wanna find a way to keep the print record and check the printing data when need. If printing from command, it's easy to backup the printing data  and record the operation at the same time. But if he print from the software window, normally there's one menu to print directly,  I have no way to keep the tail. Is there any way to keep the printing data's snapshot? either other ways to do?
> >
> > Some person let me to try cups printing's hooks or the spooler, but I have  no more idea to it. Would you please give some advice?
> >
> > Have a good day!
> >
> > B.R.
> >
> > Joffre
>
> The simplest way to get some information on who when printed what is probably
> to wrap all the CUPS backends by something like the beh (BackendErrorHandler)
> from linuxprinting.org and use that to dump the print job options together
> with a time stamp to a log file of your choice.
>
> Moreover, in CUPS 1.2.x, you could use the notification feature to do that.
>
> Helge
>

> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de

Dear Helge,

Thanks for your reply. I check the cups' notification options which is set in /etc/cups/subscriptions.conf, but it's not so valuable to us, since persons may rename the printing files and if I have only the record, have no way to know the details of the print. Do you have other advice? Thanks a lot!

Have a good day!

B.R.

Joffre