Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'

f.c.caner fccaner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 04:55:37 PDT 2006

My printer is an HP LaserJet 1022, connected via USB hub. This printer can only process raw PCL5e and nothing else (not even postscript). I am running Debian unstable, with kernel 2.6.12. It gets detected fine, with a device /dev/usb/lp0. What is more, I can print:

$foomatic-rip -P hplj1022 /etc/motd > /dev/usb/lp0

prints the desired output. I can also print using ghostscript. But when I do:

$lp -d hplj1022 /etc/motd

I get:

lp: Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'!

Furthermore, I never succeeded printing a test page using http://localhost/631/admin. The error log of cups (/var/log/cups/error_log), set to debug, does not show any error messages, but the access log (/var/log/cups/access_log) does:

"POST /printers/hplj1022 HTTP/1.1" 200 340 Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported

The CUPS version I use is 1.2.1-3; I also tried 1.2.2-1 but I got exactly the same problem.

The driver I use for this printer is "HP LaserJet 1022 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)".

It seems to me that somehow foomatic-rip never gets called. I have also hpij installed in the system. I could not get any other application to print on this printer as well.

I have browsed the web for a solution, by now for far too long, and came across a bug in cups introduced in version 1.2.0, but supposedly resolved in 1.2.1. I don't know what to say, it seems to have sprung open again for some reason...

Any ideas as to what I could do?

Best,

FCC