[cups.general] [Fwd: [Printing-user-general] Why has nothingchanged?]

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 31 07:23:11 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

>> Two years ago, Eric Raymond posted his experiences with CUPS:
>> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>> in which he points out, with specific examples, that CUPS is a nightmare
>> to configure.

>> My response:
>> Debug mode and a logfile are debugging tools for the developers. No
> > user should ever need to go near either of them.
>
> While I agree that ordinary users shouldn't have to look at the log
> files, they are not just for developers.  Administrators and support
> people also need the log files to diagnose configuration and
> installation problems.
Michael, Would it be possible to have a per queue log files setup? Kind
of like lpr does. It's a bit of a pain to hunt through the log files
which to
a certain degree is misnamed since 'error_log' implies it should ONLY log
errors when the reality it logs a lot more depending on the value of
loglevels.

walter