[cups.bugs] Re: [HIGH] STR #1831: Glyphs are clipped on top,bottom and right sides

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jul 11 07:21:06 PDT 2006

Rajeev Sebastian wrote:
> [STR New]
>
> I have attached 2 files:
>
> One which shows the problem (clipping_test.withProblem.pdf)
> One which shows text properly (clipping_test.withoutProblem.pdf)
>
> The difference between them, is the number of glyphs in the embedded
> (subset) font.
>
> I took the original document, and kept removing paragraphs, lines and
> characters at the end, until I could get the smallest difference: one
> glyph.
>
> (You can see the glyph at the end of the last line of the last paragraph
> in the non-working PDF file).
>
> However, it is not this particular glyph that is causing the problem:
>
> I went further and started removing additional glyphs as long as they were
> repeated in the text, but that didn't change anything.
>
> So, it could be that the problem occurs when the number of glyphs in the
> embedded font exceed a certain amount.
>

> The wierd thing is, as I mentioned earlier, converting the problematic ps
> back into PDF, and viewing the PDF shows no problems. So, the font outline
> data is probably correct.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1831
> Version: 8.15.2

Short of the fact that your sample files differ in tne number of
text characters (the "without" file has one char more at the end of the
last line), I didn't see any illegal clipping of glyphs whatsoever;
the examples you provided scroeenshots for display OK with acroread (7.0.1 on Solaris),
Ghostscript (7.00), a PS printer (HP 4100dtn). So could it be an issue with
your X11 server or even your graphic card?

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung